First off – without presuming too much – a brief explanation:
What is Jaiku?
* Micro-blogging (like twitter)
* Limited to 140 characters (like Twitter) to your first ‘Jaiku’
* Jaikus start threaded conversations (unlike Twitter) with no character limit (unlike Twitter)
* Jaiku also enables ‘Presence’ from your S60 handset: Location + Phone Profile + Latest Jaiku
* Jaiku as a feed aggregator – pulling in all your feeds into one single ‘life stream’
* An ‘active’ contacts book, when futurists debate the address book as being key to any user’s daily life, Jaiku is often looked upon as leading the way
* And above all, a community…
There is a link in there to the Jaiku Invites site, as Jaiku is invite only at the moment.
My comments on Jaiku v Twitter as they are the two often compared is that Twitter is where the big names are and it’s a micro-blogging tool, you get the odd response to your posts. Jaiku on the other hand is a micro-blogging tool but you post and lot’s of people comment, the conversations are bigger on Jaiku.
So if you want you want to micro-blog take your pick, if you want to have conversations then get yourself an invite to Jaiku. I confess to using both as they each offer something ever so slightly different to each other, but if I didn’t like Jaiku I wouldn’t have written this post.