3G profitability threatened by Public Wireless LAN competition, says Analysys
* 3G could displace Public WLAN, offering near-ubiquitous higher-speed Internet/intranet services
* 3G capacity and cost limitations require control of usage and careful pricing
* 3G tariffs offering unlimited usage may devastate margins
* Integrated 3G/WLAN services can avoid filling 3G networks with low-margin traffic
* 3G operators must avoid common pricing across 3G and WLAN services
* Report examines 3G, Public WLAN and integrated services and identifies optimum approaches for offering Internet/intranet services
They are all points that need to be taken into account, but there’s one thing that’s not quite clear. What the service intergrators going to use to deliver a service. Could you see an SI using a public wi-fi point to provide connectivity for a ATM, somehow I don’t think so. But the same SI may use a 3g service to provide the connectivity.